Monday 10 December 2012

DNA Database

Parliamentary Information Diary: A fundamental question that isn't addressed is 'who owns your DNA ?'.
Forgive my cynicism but after the struggle I had to get the NHS to treat my cancer, any proposal that they might want my DNA to actively seek to treat my cancer, quite hilarious.
What safeguards would there be as to where my DNA fragments might go, and what would  I be told about how cloned fragments are used ?
You only have to see how DNA fragments are currently being used to realise that your DNA is a valuable resource, but one that could be put to some very strange uses.
Of course, if anything untoward happens, who does it trace back to ?
"I'm a genetic scientist - trust me", doesn't carry much weight any more.


Parliamentary Information Diary: A DNA database without details of illness and treatment is valueless. It cannot therefore be anonymised and, indeed, no scientist could resist mapping health progression against DNA.
It's the difference between science and recording car numbers (a common past time of children from my youth performed for no logical reason).The concept is faulty or more likely deceitful in essence. Your DNA alone tells scientists nothing and it is only by knowing other information that conclusions and assumptions can be drawn.It's pathetic to make a proposal that must, by deduction, be a lie.They should map the DNA of the person who made this statement in an attempt to discover the source of human idiocy. This could be of value.



No comments:

Post a Comment